From 14ymedio (via Translating Cuba):
Cuban Writer Angel Santiesteban Arrested
The writer Angel Santiesteban was arrested on Monday afternoon shortly after he left his home. The blogger is in a cell at the police station located at the corner of Zapata and C in the Plaza municipality, according to the information from the police offered by telephone.
Recently, Santiesteban received the Reinaldo Arenas Narrative Prize, awarded by the Club of Independent Writers of Cuba and he is now in what he called “a creative phase” that consumes all his time.
According to telephone calls made by family and friends to police authorities, Santiesteban was arrested because “they had tracked him” from the Isle of Youth.
The winner, also, of the Casa de las Américas Prize (2006) was on parole awaiting the outcome of an appeal for review of his case by the Ministry of Justice; he recently served several years in prison for “violation of domicile and injuries.” In the trial in that case, which was denounced as a process full of irregularities, he had been sentenced to five years’ imprisonment.
Since the appeal was filed for review of his case, Santiesteban has been arrested on several occasions, including for participating in the Sunday marches of the Ladies in White.
06/12 - 06/19
- Yoani Sanchez Talks About Cuba’s 'Changes'
- Tweets of the Week: Dalai Lama, Richard Gere and '...
- Renowned Cuban Writer Arrested (Again)
- Stonegate Bank is Breaking the Law
- Obama vs. Cuba's Dissidents
- Quote of the Week: Tourism Fuels Cuba's Repressive...
- Signed: El Sexto
- Obama's Cuba Trip Was Just a Family Vacation
- Dr. Oscar Biscet: A Profile in Courage From Cuba
- Cuba Reassures U.S. Fugitives They Will Not be Ext...
- ▼ 06/12 - 06/19 (10)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)