Obama Administration’s Cuba Airline Policy Proposal Endangers Americans
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Congressman Jeff Duncan (R-SC-03), Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs’ Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere, released the following statement on the U.S. Department of Transportation’s proposal to select U.S. airlines and cities for scheduled service between the U.S. and Cuba, which could begin as early as this fall:
Chairman Duncan – “The Administration’s craving to reach legacy milestones in its U.S.-Cuba policy shift has led to a mad rush to sign agreements with the Cuban government without ensuring basic safeguards of security. Lest we forget, Cuba is the number one counterintelligence threat to the U.S. in Latin America. It also has very limited airport security equipment, most of which is Chinese-made, and Cuba recently chose a Russian company to handle its air traffic control system. Cuba has given no clarity on whether security vetting of airlines employees will occur or how they will scan for terrorist threats with such few assets. Yet, the Administration is forging ahead without getting anything in return. This is incredibly dangerous for the American people and comes right on the heels of the Castro regime’s denial of visas to two U.S. Congressional delegations last week that planned to investigate airline security vulnerabilities. It also puts the cart before the horse, allowing direct flights before we’ve seen any progress on human rights or any resolution on outstanding U.S. certified property claims.”
at 9:07 AM Friday, July 8, 2016
07/03 - 07/10
- House Defeats Efforts to Ease Cuba Sanctions
- House Passes Bill That Tightens Cuba Sanctions
- Congressman Pulls Proposal to End Cuba Travel Sanc...
- Chairman Duncan: Obama's Cuba Airline Policy Endan...
- Senator Menendez on Obama's Proposed Flights to Cu...
- Amid Obama Bailout, Cuba Braces for Venezuelan Cri...
- North Korea's Special (Concerning) Relationship Wi...
- Russia, Cuba to Sign Nuclear Energy Deal
- A Very Timely Lesson From Elie Wiesel
- An Ominous Warning From Cuba's Dissidents
- Over 100 Cuban Dissidents Arrested Demanding Relea...
- Ten Things Cubans Cannot Do
- ▼ 07/03 - 07/10 (12)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)