Rubio Speaks To Cuban Dissident On Hunger Strike, Expresses Solidarity
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) spoke this morning with Guillermo "Coco" Fariñas, a prominent Cuban dissident leader who is currently on the 9th day of a hunger strike in protest of the Castro regime's repression against him and the Cuban people.
A partial transcript of Rubio's comments to Fariñas is below.
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio
Phone Call with Guillermo "Coco" Fariñas
July 29, 2016
Senator Marco Rubio: "For our part, we will keep praying for you. We will keep talking about you. We will keep highlighting your case. And I wanted you to know that I called you today to let you know that we are with you.
For us, it would be a great loss. I know you've made a personal decision, and I don't want to question it or stand in the way. But I want to share with you that I believe your voice is very important in this, and it would be a shame to lose your voice and activism, because I honestly don't know who would replace you.
We pray that there is a response to what you are asking for. It's not irrational to stop the beatings, for someone to be assigned on behalf of the government to speak about what the change in posture going forward will be.
What we face today is difficult, but I believe that in the history of the cause of a free Cuba, when Cuba is free one day - and it will happen, you can be sure of it - the name of Guillermo 'Coco' Fariñas will be part of a very important chapter. And I believe that the moment in which we are living now will be part a very important part of that chapter about how liberty returned to Cuba."
at 8:42 AM Sunday, July 31, 2016
07/31 - 08/07
- Cuban Democracy Leader Hospitalized, Hunger Strike...
- Two More Cuban Hunger Strikers in Critical Conditi...
- Video: Cuban 'Entrepreneurs' Violently Beaten and ...
- Meet Carlos Amel Oliva: Cuban Youth Leader on Hung...
- Letter to Starwood CEO: Cuba Deal Violates Corpora...
- Tweet of the Week: Like Alan Gross Swap, Obama Lie...
- Kudos to Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn
- Obama's Regional Legacy: RIP Inter-American Democr...
- Obama's Cuba Policy Tramples Over American's Prope...
- Rubio Speaks To Cuban Dissident On Hunger Strike, ...
- Migration Crisis Shows Renewed Ties Not Helping Cu...
- ▼ 07/31 - 08/07 (11)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)