From 14ymedio (via Translating Cuba):
FANTU Activists Ask Obama to “Save the Life” of Guillermo Fariñas
A group of activists from the Anti-Totalitarian Forum (FANTU) have sent an open letter to President Barack Obama, asking him to “save the life of Guillermo Fariñas Hernández” who, as of Sunday, has been on a hunger strike for 32 days. The missive is addressed to the leader as “president of the country which is a beacon of human rights in the world.”
Seven members of the opposition organization which is led by Fariñas, winner of the European Parliament’s Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought, are asking Obama to “use his political wisdom to take any action” that would avoid the death of the dissident. However, they clarify that the letter is not asking the US president to do “something tied to politics.”
The opponents explain that “Fariñas Hernández’s strike is against violence, he has not called for the overthrow of the government.” Instead, with his prolonged fasting, the activist from Santa Clara is demanding “the end to the oppression by some against others because of the way they think or how they choose to honestly obtain their income.”
Which, according to the signers, “is not to risk a life on a hunger strike, because it is the very essence of the democratic governments of all countries in the world.”
Guillermo Fariñas has been very critical of the process of normalization of relations between the governments of Cuba and the United States that began during the administration of Barack Obama.
Since December 17, 2014, when the diplomatic thaw was publicly announced, Fariñas has labeled the actions of the US president as a betrayal of Cuban dissidents.
at 8:46 AM Monday, August 22, 2016
08/21 - 08/28
- A Cuban Democracy Leader’s Ultimate Sacrifice to W...
- Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet – Could He Be Cuba’s Next P...
- Captive Nations Presentation: Cuba, Human Rights a...
- Cuba Conspicuously Missing From 2016 Basel Bank Tr...
- Tweet of the Day: On Obama, Cuba and Iran
- Is There Any Dictator That Hasn't Fooled (Manipula...
- Obama's Cuba Policy Opens Doors -- For Iran
- Must-Read: Do Cuban Lives Matter to Obama?
- Tweet of the Day: From Daughter of Dying Cuban Dem...
- Cuban Democracy Activists Ask Obama to Support Far...
- Iranian Foreign Minister Arrives in Cuba
- Will Obama (Further) Screw Over U.S. Victims of Ca...
- Free Cubans Outshine Castro's Slaves at Olympics
- ▼ 08/21 - 08/28 (13)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)