By Cuban bloggers Irina Echarry and Erasmo Calzadilla in The Havana Times:
A Hunger Strike in Cuba That Should Matter to All of Us
Not just because he’s a human being, but because he’s putting his life on the line in order to demand a universal human right that all of us Cubans should be fighting for: the right to publicly oppose the government without being repressed.
After Zapata died, government media stated that his hunger strike was to demand better conditions in prison, for him alone.
However, in the case of Farinas, we’re not going to have any doubts. It’s very clear, and has been proven, that his hunger strike has an altruistic objective: it’s for all of our well-being and for a necessary and fair cause.
I’m not sure what Farinas’ political stance is, however, if I did know what it was and it seemed atrocious to me, I would still support him, it’s our duty to do so.
This government pushes us around as it pleases and it treats us with a complete lack of respect because we lack people with the moral integrity and worth that this hunger striker is demonstrating.
If Farinas could read this text, I’d ask him to end his strike immediately, with the commitment to join him in pursuing this struggle through other means.
09/04 - 09/11
- House Panel Will Mark-Up Bill to Halt Cuba Flights...
- #JuntoACoco: Cuban Dissident Leader Hits Day 50 of...
- Cuban Democracy Leader Disappears From Commercial ...
- Rubio, Menendez Introduce Cuban Airport Security A...
- Obama: See No Evil, See No Enemies
- Who Does Cuba's Regime Fear?
- Raul's Grandson Gets Key Promotion, As Family Rule...
- Florida Times-Union Editorial: Obama Should Take B...
- Obama Adds Insult to the Injury of His Cuba Policy...
- From an American Victim's Son: JetBlue's Flight to...
- A Hunger Strike in Cuba That Should Matter to All ...
- Computers Infected After Visiting Cuban Regime Web...
- Tweet of the Week: Obama's Cuba Deal Defenders Owe...
- The Media's Delusion About Flights to Cuba
- What Obama's Cuba and Iran Deals Have in Common
- List of Words Censored From Text Messages in Cuba
- Cuban Democracy Leader Rejects U.S. Plea to End Hu...
- Young Dissident Risks His Life for Change in Cuba
- ▼ 09/04 - 09/11 (18)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)