After a thorough investigation, the news site 14ymedio has put together a list of terms that Cuba's regime censors from SMS (text) messages.
Prominently featured on the list are democracy leaders, such as Berta Soler, Guillermo Farinas, Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet, Jorge Luis Garcia "Antunez" and Jose Daniel Ferrer.
Also featured are opposition groups, such as The Ladies in White and UNPACU.
There are independent journalists, such as 14ymedio, Cubanet and Hablemos Press.
There are opposition movements, such as Todos Marchamos and Somos+.
And open terms, such as democracy, human rights and plebiscite.
What's not on the list -- and far from censored in Cuba -- are words, such as Obama, Ben Rhodes, JetBlue flights, Carnival cruises, Kardashians, Chanel and even "cuenta-propistas" ("self-employed").
That's because none of those are a threat to Castro's regime. To the contrary, they provide welcome economic relief and a convenient distraction to repress the "threats" censored above.
Of course, the irony is that the Castro regime and its U.S.-based lobbyists have always sought to diminish the importance of Cuba's democracy movement and leaders. The media has generally -- and sadly -- gone along with this false narrative.
This led to Obama's relegating of Cuba's democracy movement in favor of unconditionally embracing the Castros' dictatorship -- oh, and to help the island's "cuenta-propistas" (wink, wink).
But if these democracy movements and leaders are irrelevant -- then why does Cuba's regime go to such great lengths to censor and repress them?
Ask yourself -- why is Castro so afraid of these peaceful opponents?
09/04 - 09/11
- House Panel Will Mark-Up Bill to Halt Cuba Flights...
- #JuntoACoco: Cuban Dissident Leader Hits Day 50 of...
- Cuban Democracy Leader Disappears From Commercial ...
- Rubio, Menendez Introduce Cuban Airport Security A...
- Obama: See No Evil, See No Enemies
- Who Does Cuba's Regime Fear?
- Raul's Grandson Gets Key Promotion, As Family Rule...
- Florida Times-Union Editorial: Obama Should Take B...
- Obama Adds Insult to the Injury of His Cuba Policy...
- From an American Victim's Son: JetBlue's Flight to...
- A Hunger Strike in Cuba That Should Matter to All ...
- Computers Infected After Visiting Cuban Regime Web...
- Tweet of the Week: Obama's Cuba Deal Defenders Owe...
- The Media's Delusion About Flights to Cuba
- What Obama's Cuba and Iran Deals Have in Common
- List of Words Censored From Text Messages in Cuba
- Cuban Democracy Leader Rejects U.S. Plea to End Hu...
- Young Dissident Risks His Life for Change in Cuba
- ▼ 09/04 - 09/11 (18)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)