Brazil's state development bank ("BNDES") has frozen loan disbursements for Cuba's Mariel port and "special economic development zone" ("SEDZ"), as part of a major corruption investigation.
As we all know, the Mariel port and SEDZ project was built pursuant to a shady deal between Cuban dictator Raul Castro and former Brazilian president Lula da Silva.
Pursuant to the deal, Brazilian engineering firm Odebrecht would receive nearly $800 million in financing from BNDES, in partnership with a shadow company of the Cuban military called Almacenes Universales, S.A.
This past Monday, Brazilian prosecutors charged Lula da Silva; Odebrecht CEO Marcelo Odebrecht, who is already serving a 19-year sentence for separate corruption charges; and nine others over allegations that Lula secured BNDES funding for Odebrecht projects in Angola. In return, prosecutors said, Odebrecht bribed Lula and some people close to him.
Have no doubt, Cuba's Mariel project will be next.
(We've been warning about the Lula-Odebrecht-Castro-Mariel project since 2011. See here, here, here, here, here, here and here.)
To date, the biggest shipment from the Mariel port has been an illegal cargo of 240 tons of weapons (also see here) to North Korea. No joke.
And yet, this is the same Port that Obama Administration officials shamefully tour and propagate.
Just last week, Obama's U.S. Trade Representative, Michael Froman, spent two-days in Cuba touring the Mariel port and SEDZ.
Must have been to celebrate graft and corruption.
at 10:37 AM Wednesday, October 12, 2016
10/09 - 10/16
- NSA Official: Obama Just Opened the Door for Castr...
- Rubio: Obama's Cuba Policy Puts Castro's Interests...
- Menendez: Obama's Cuba Regs 'Blatantly Violate' U....
- Pence: Cuba Executive Orders Will Be Overturned
- Ros-Lehtinen: Pleas of Cuba's Democracy Leaders Fa...
- Curbelo: Obama's Cuba Regs Undermine Property Righ...
- Diaz-Balart: False to Pretend Biz With Castro Regi...
- New Regs: Obama Betrays Cuban 'Entrepreneurs', Con...
- Amid Graft Probe, Brazil Freezes Credit for Cuba's...
- Quote of the Day: Bucket of Cold Water for Obama's...
- Iran Agrees to Restructure Cuba’s Debt
- In Cuba, Dr. Jill Biden Chose Propaganda Over Civi...
- Tweet of the Day: Obama's 'Alternative Reality' on...
- The Danger of Russia Reopening Its Electronic Espi...
- ▼ 10/09 - 10/16 (14)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)