From Freedom House:
Cuba: Political Repression Grows
In response to a growing number of arbitrary detentions in Cuba and greater intimidation of civil society, Freedom House issued the following statement:
“We are alarmed by the significant increase of arbitrary detentions, secret police raids, and intimidation targeting a wide cross-section of civil society,” said Carlos Ponce, director for Latin America programs. “The international community should demand protection of the Cuban human rights defenders and prodemocracy movements.”
The Comisión Cubana de Derechos Humanos y Reconciliación Nacional (CCDHRN) reports that there have been more than 7,800 politically motivated arrests in 2016, in many cases with the use of violence. A new report by Instituto Cubano por la Libertad de Expresión y Prensa (ICLEP) documented freedom of expression and the press violations.
Cuba is rated Not Free in Freedom in the World 2016, Not Free in Freedom of the Press 2016, and Not Free in Freedom on the Net 2015.
10/02 - 10/09
- Russia Threatens to Reopen Military Base in Cuba
- Freedom House: In Cuba, Political Repressions Grow...
- Congress Should Put the Brakes on 'Engaging' Cuba
- Hillary Clinton Fails "Two Faces" ("Dos Caras") St...
- WaPo: Security Risk at Cuba's Airports Not Worth P...
- Lesson of the Day: For Colombians (and Cubans), Ju...
- Tweet of the Day: Colombians Say NO to Cuba-Broker...
- Political Cartoon: Colombians Reject Castro-FARC S...
- Senators Vow to Block Obama’s Cuba Ambassador Pick...
- ALERT: Cuban Regime Escalates Violent Assaults on ...
- Quote of the Day: Two Years Later, Cubans Live Wor...
- Cubans Intercepted at Sea Surges Another 65%
- ▼ 10/02 - 10/09 (12)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)