Excerpt from The Miami Herald:
Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States has cast a shadow over the Obama administration policy of warming relations with Cuba [...]
Cuba watchers agree that he probably will make some gesture to fulfill his campaign promises and acknowledge the support of Cuban Americans whose votes might have helped him to win Florida.
Mauricio Claver-Carone, director of the pro-embargo U.S.-Cuba Democracy PAC in Washington, agreed.
“As for President-elect Trump, his Cuban-American supporters will surely hold him to his commitment to reverse Obama’s executive orders,” he said. “Moreover, his election and the huge win of the Cuban-American Congressional delegation give Trump the clear mandate to do so.”
Sen. Marco Rubio and Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Mario Díaz-Balart and Carlos Curbelo — all Cuban Americans from South Florida who oppose Obama’s policies on Cuba — were reelected Tuesday. And Republicans retained control of both chambers of Congress.
Lawmakers have submitted bills to ease or strengthen U.S. sanctions on Cuba in recent years, but neither side has prevailed.
Supporters of the sanctions say the election of Trump and a Republican Congress has put an end to any possibility of lifting the embargo in the next two years.
“There was minimal chance that a new Congress would ease or remove [embargo] sanctions,” Claver-Carone said, “and those slim chances are now down to zero.”
11/06 - 11/13
- N.Y. Post: Obama’s Cuba ‘Legacy’ Drive Lost Florid...
- In My Humble Opinion: Trump's Cuba Policy Mandate
- Must-Watch Video: Cuban Dissident Dragged Away for...
- Obama's Cuba Policy Lost Florida for Hillary
- AP Exit Polls: Trump, Rubio Overwhelmingly Win Cub...
- NBC: How Cuban-Americans Helped Trump in Florida
- WSJ: The Cost of Obama’s Cuba Policy
- Obama's Cuba Legacy: Record Number of Political Ar...
- Caught on Film: Crackdown on Cuban 'Cuentapropista...
- Meet Raul Castro: Predator of Press Freedom
- Cuba and Syria Sign MOU to Deepen Ties
- ▼ 11/06 - 11/13 (11)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)